Obviously there's no one way to draw, but here are Mr Cannon's tips:
- Have your paper ready and, if possible, pre-ruled.
- Come prepared with drawing materials.
- Bring a lamp and extension cord for direct light.
- Pace yourself. You have to carve out time for meals and bathroom breaks.
- Try doing a page every fifty minutes. That gives you 240 minutes to rest and recoup and eat.
- If you're chatty, you're shooting yourself in the foot. Don't be surprised when you end up with only 20-30 minutes to draw each page.
- Some people like to pencil the whole book and THEN ink. I HIGHLY discourage this. Try to COMPLETE a full page every hour. This lets you accurately budget your time.
- Do as little penciling as possible. Nobody's going to win an Eisner with these books, so why not jump into the inks right away?
- Bring comfort items: extra clothes, an iPod, a cushion, etc. Better to bring too much stuff on your first time.
- On the flipside, don't bring a bunch of unnecessary crap.